Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Framed Fabric

As many of you know, my husband and I moved into a brand new home this past May. Our builder recommended that we wait to paint until our one year new home warranty was over and we agreed it was a good idea. The side effect of this is that every day I stare at very white and mostly empty walls. We do have some photographs and art hung downstairs but our bedroom is completely bare. I've been watching out for an easy and inexpensive project I can undertake to decorate and I think I've found it: framed fabric! The only real cost is the frame and the piece of fabric. Since there are tons of colour and pattern choices to choose from fabric can suit any decor. The best part is, it's also easy and inexpensive to change out the fabric when you get tired of it.

There are a few ways you can choose to hang fabric. The first is to put a piece of fabric in a frame just as you would a photograph. There's a full tutorial available over at Lula Louise but the concept is pretty simple.  I think that getting the fabric perfectly ironed would be the trickiest part. You can do a series of frames with coordinating fabric. I love this idea for hanging a series from Budget Wise Home. So pretty!


The next idea, found on The Purl Bee, is to put your fabric into embroidery hoops and then hang them. I'm fairly certain you can find embroidery hoops quite cheaply; you might even find them in second hand stores if you really wanted to go thrifty. The photo below, also courtesy of The Purl Bee, shows how interesting a collage of different sized hoops with various patterns could be. I can't see that really fitting with my style but two or three could definitely work!

The last idea I want to share for hanging fabric is to pull it over a stretched canvas. You can purchase canvases at your local craft or art supply store. Then all you need is a staple gun to secure the fabric and you're pretty much done. Full instructions can be found on the Real Simple website (I love that magazine!).


So there you have it. Cheap and easy DIYs that leave you with beautiful wall art. I'm officially inspired and I hope you are too!

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas Sarah! I am planning on stretching some fabric over a canvas frame for a little makeshift headboard in our bedroom. Just haven't gotten around to it yet...

    ReplyDelete