Monday, September 6, 2010

Fall Decorating

I'm not sure if it's going to last but this weekend the air has been crisp and I can smell fall in the air. Even some of the leaves have started turning. I love this time of the year (I secretly wish that I was going back to school tomorrow) and I've been thinking about how I'm going to decorate for our first fall in our new home. Of course, I turned to Martha for inspiration!

These first two ideas are so obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of them on my own. Creating these arrangements is as simple as gathering some colourful leaves from your backyard (or in my case my parents' yard since we have no trees), purchasing a few gourds, mini pumpkins and berries at a roadside stand or grocery store, and then repurposing urns and planters that you already own. You only need enough pretty fall decorations to cover the very tops and, since nothing is growing, there's no watering or maintenance. I can't wait to make these!



To go with my new planters I'll need a fall wreath and this one is super cute and looks cheap and easy to make. All you need is a wreath form, some brown kraft paper (like the kind they make into paper bags), a few pieces of metallic paper in fall leave colours, ribbon for the bow and scissors and a stapler. Full instructions are available here.


Our porch is not that big so I think that any more fall decor would probably be overkill.  However, I love the look of this pumpkin chandelier! It's just a purchased grapevine wreath covered with leaves and then decorated with mini pumpkins. You hang it flat from a ceiling hook to make it look like a chandelier. The last step is to put tea lights in the pumpkins, or you could use battery powered lights to make the look last longer. Maybe since there's no room on my porch for this I'll have to make it as a gift for someone else ;)


Once there are enough leaves on the ground I'm going to start on these projects. I promise to share the results with you. And please let me know how you decorate your house for fall!

2 comments:

  1. Your Mom has enough room for a fall chandelier, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does your 'great' aunt in BC!

    ReplyDelete