Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole

Can you believe that it's already September 23? I'm really having a hard time believing the calendar these days; I just don't know where the month of September has gone! But here we are on our way to October which means, for those of us in Canada, it's almost time for Thanksgiving! This year Thanksgiving is on October 11. I'm not sure what Chris and I are doing or if we'll be having a big turkey dinner anywhere but I do know that, no matter where we end up, I'll be making Sweet Potato Casserole.

Last year I volunteered to bring a sweet potato casserole to our big family dinner but I'd never made one before. I bake but I don't cook at all so I was a little nervous about it. I decided the best thing was just to to google a recipe and give it a go. I found a recipe on the Southern Food page of About.com and I am so glad I did. Not only was it super easy to make but it was a HIT! People were super enthusiastic about it and there was not a speck of it left when dinner was over. Chris has made me promise that I'll be making it again this year. Since it's not too early to start planning, I'm sharing the recipe today. This way when your host asks you to bring something, you can volunteer Sweet Potato Casserole with confidence :)

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine first 6 ingredients. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients together and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and browned.
Serves 6 to 8. 

Stay tuned because before Thanksgiving hits I'm going to share my favourite Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe and the incredibly delicious Oats and Honey Granola Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment