Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chocolate Shortbread

As I posted yesterday, my house is decorated for Halloween and that includes my brand new ghost cookie jar. So it seemed only right that I should bake some Halloween themed cookies. Time for Chocolate Shortbread courtesy of Martha Stewart!

Ingredients1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. With an electric mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add flour, sugar, and cocoa; mix just until combined. (Chill dough in the refrigerator 10 minutes if it is too soft to handle.)
Pat dough into an 8-inch round cake pan; press edges down with the tines of a floured fork. Bake until firm, 30 minutes. Immediately score into eight wedges; cool completely. Turn out of pan; break wedges apart. Decorate with icing .


These cookies were incredibly easy to make, required minimal ingredients and they taste amazing! My only complaint is that the recipe doesn't yield very many cookies. I followed the recipe and cut it into eight pieces but I think that next time I would cut the pieces smaller. I might even try baking it in a square pan instead of round so that I could cut the cookies into squares.

I made my icing with icing sugar and water and then added some red and yellow food colouring to get to orange. Martha's version has icing just on the points but I using a serving spoon and drizzled icing all over my cookies. The cookie itself isn't very sweet so the icing really balances it out nicely.

Overall, I thought this was a tasty and simple cookie that I would definitely make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment