Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Party Perfect - DIY Boutonnieres

For our wedding last summer I decided to do all of the bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres myself to save money. Since I'd never worked with flowers before I decided silk was the best option because I could make everything ahead of time. Michaels has a great selection of silk flowers and they are always going on sale when the seasons change. I bought everything at 40% off or better! Today I want to show you my DIY boutonnieres. I don't think I would call this a tutorial because they were so simple to do but I'll tell you what I did so you can see just how easy it is to make these yourself!


I started with a bunch of round purple flowers that looked like pom poms. I think there were about 6 blooms on each bunch so that would make 6 boutonnieres (told you I saved money!). Their leaves reminded me of dandelions so I cut the blooms off, each with a bit of stem attached, and tossed the leaves. I wrapped the stem with floral tape to make it dark green. Then, using more floral tape, I attached a leaf from a rose (I used silk roses in my bouquet and didn't need all the greenery) halfway down the stem so that it sat behind the flower. The last step was to tie a bow around the stem with a piece of ribbon and then insert a corsage pin so that guys could attach them to their lapels.

I used the same concept to make corsages for my mom and grandmother. I used two flowers instead of one, added a couple of extra leaves and tied the bow with wider ribbon.


Really easy, right? These were so simple and inexpensive but I have received so many compliments from people when they find out I made them. If you're planning a wedding or other special occasion on a budget then you should really give these a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment