Thursday, March 31, 2011

Family History Collage

My husband and I are both very interested in genealogy and researching our family trees so for Chris' birthday I decided to create a collage of documents and photos of his grandfather, Thomas.


I didn't take any pictures during the process (oops) but it's made up of very simple elements. I started with a background of brown paper. Then I cut four pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper into triangles of various shapes and sizes and glued them down like they were a puzzle.


Instead of using the original photos and documents I scanned everything and then printed copies from our home printer. This way I don't need to worry about UV damage when the frame is hanging in direct sunlight. The last piece was to include a few embellishments in the form of keys and journalling tags, both made by K&Company.


You really do need to click on the photos for the full size version in order to get the full effect. The picture above include pages from Thomas' army service book from WWII - the scanned and printed version looks pretty cool.

The best part is that Chris really loved the collage and it's now hanging in a place of honour in his office. I think I'll start on a collage of someone in my family history next!

No comments:

Post a Comment