Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Origami Christmas Trees

Tonight I bring you a cheap and easy idea for holiday decor, origami Christmas trees!


For the uninitiated, origami is the traditional Japanese folk art of paper folding. The goal is to transform a flat sheet of paper into a finished model through folding techniques with no cuts or glue allowed. It's a fiddly thing when you first start but with a little bit of practice it can be really fun and very easy to make simple models like these trees. The instructions I found are even designed for kids so you know it can't be too hard!



I made myself a little forest tonight in less than an hour using one 12x12 piece of double sided scrapbook paper. I plan to cut holes in the top of each tree so I can attach ribbons and then hang them from presents or on the tree!

Check out the full instructions with diagrams here. I used scrapbook paper but, if this is your first try at origami then you might want to use thinner paper. You don't necessarily need to buy special origami paper but practice first with a piece of plain white paper like you have in your printer. It's easier to get crisp, accurate folds with thinner paper. Once you've got the hang of it you can move on to other types of paper. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment