Wednesday, October 17, 2012

DIY Painted Halloween Pots

I have a ton of craft supplies and very little space to keep them all so lately I’ve been trying to use up what’s in my stash. I’ve had a stack of paper mache pots sitting in my basement since forever so decided to turn a couple of them into a fun Halloween craft. I love the way these painted and mod podged pots turned out! They were so easy and require hardly any supplies. I got my inspiration from here.

Painted Halloween Pots 

Supplies

  • Pots (paper mache or terracotta)
  • Craft Paint
  • Mod Podge
  • Cardstock
  • Glitter (optional)
  • Scissors
  • Paint Brush
  • Sponge Brush

Start by painting your pots. I made a cat and a pumpkin but use your imagination. You could make monsters or vampires or any other Halloween themed creature. While the pots are drying cut faces out of your cardstock. I found keeping the faces simple was easier and also more effective. For example, my cat just has eyes and a nose but you know exactly what it is. At this stage you can also cut out ears and/or stems depending on what kind of pots you’re creating.

Halloween Painted Pot - Cat  

Once the paint on the pots has dried use your sponge brush and some Mod Podge to attach the faces. I then gave the whole pot a coat of Mod Podge so it was shiny all over but this is optional. I sealed my pumpkin pot with glittery Mod Podge left over from my Halloween Luminaries. Click over to that post for the how to. The picture doesn’t do it justice but the whole pumpkin pot is lightly shimmery.

Halloween Painted Pot - Pumpkin 

The last step is to Mod Podge on the ears and stems. To do this just cut into the bottom of each piece and then fold the paper on one half backwards and the other forwards. This gives you two little tabs to adhere to the top of the pot. And that’s it - cute little painted Halloween pots! Including the paint drying these took me about an hour to complete. I used only materials I already had in my stash AND this is another idea I pinned ages ago and finally completed!

Pinned It – Did It Count: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment