Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY Glittery Halloween Luminaries

I think I might have a Halloween decorating addiction. I seriously have so many decorations for Halloween it’s ridiculous. And yet, I couldn’t resist making a few more! Tonight I’m sharing a really easy DIY luminary project. I love anything with glitter lately and this method makes sure that the glitter stays put.

Halloween Luminary

Supplies

  • Glass jar (I used a baby food jar)
  • Glitter
  • Mod Podge
  • Patterned Paper
  • Tags, Stickers etc. for decorating
  • Ribbon
  • Sponge Paint Brush

Start by pouring some Mod Podge into a disposable container (I used a clean margarine container) and then add glitter and mix well. There’s no exact measurements here – the amount of Mod Podge you’ll need depends entirely on the size of your jar – but trust me that you’ll want to go heavy on the glitter. The more glitter the less opaque your glass will end up. Once you’ve got your mixture use the sponge brush to paint it all over the inside of the jar. Make sure the entire surface is covered with Mod Podge – don’t worry, it’ll dry clear.

While your Mod Podge and glitter is drying inside the jar cut a label out of your patterned paper. I added a Halloween tag and sticker to mine. Mod Podge your label to the outside of your jar (no glitter this time).

Halloween Luminary Close Up

Once the whole thing is dry, tie on some ribbon, insert a tea light and enjoy! I wasn’t lying when I said it was easy. The Mod Podge keeps the glitter in place so you get the sparkly effect with zero mess. If your jar doesn’t turn out glittery enough the first time you can always add additional coats – just mix even more glitter into the Mod Podge.

I’ve got a couple more simple Halloween crafts coming up so make sure to check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment