Monday, April 18, 2011

By The Batch - White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

This weekend, after a little hiatus, I went back to my Martha Stewart Cookies book and decided to try White Chocolate Chunk Cookies.


According to Martha:
A glass of milk is the ideal accompaniment to these drop cookies. Besides white chocolate, the cookies are also chockablock with oats, coconut, golden raisins, and walnuts.

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups good-quality white chocolate chunks
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

I didn't have access to chocolate chunks so I just used white chocolate chips. I also omitted raisins since I'd have to buy a giant bag and knew they'd probably go to waste.


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time until combined. Stir in vanilla.



Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Gradually stir into butter mixture until combined. Stir in oats, chocolate, coconut, raisins, and walnuts.


Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake cookies until golden, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.


According to Sarah:
These are a pretty basic drop cookie and very simple to make. Once you've added all the oats and nuts the batter gets incredibly thick so you'll need to mix it by hand instead of using the mixer. The batter was so thick that I broke my cookie scoop! As for taste, I have to admit that I don't really like these cookies all that much. The flavour is pretty bland and the texture is like you're munching on a mouthful of oats. Chris likes them though so maybe they're just not for me. If you're a regular reader you know it pains me to pan something made by Martha but I guess there's a first time for everything. These will not be added to my repertoire.

1 comment:

  1. What a yummy batch of cookies. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-14_22.html

    ReplyDelete