Monday, December 6, 2010

Charity Bake Sale

Today at the office we had a good old fashioned bake sale. People looked at me sort of funny when I first brought up the idea of a bake sale but I was convinced that it would be a great way to raise money for our local food bank. And I was right!


The idea was to ask my colleagues for donations of baked goods and then to sell them in the office kitchen at lunchtime. I was kind of nervous this morning about how many treats people would actually bring but I was overwhelmed by the response. We were up to our eyeballs in cookies, cupcakes and squares this morning. And everything looked delicious!

I made Butter Cookies (sort of like a cross between shortbread and sugar cookies)


and Snowman Cupcakes. I used a box of white cake mix and my homemade buttercream. Then I used regular chocolate chips for eyes, mini chocolate chips for mouths and orange jellybeans for noses. So easy but I think they turned out very cute!


People swarmed the kitchen as soon as we spread everything out and they kept on coming until almost everything was gone. And the best part? We raised $325 for the food bank!! We're going to take the money to the grocery store tomorrow and purchase food that will be given to the less fortunate in time for the holidays. The bake sale was a hit and I don't think anyone will look at me funny when I bring it up again next year ;)

This was such an easy event to put together and it was a lot of fun too. You could replicate this in your own office kitchen to raise some money for the charity of your choice. And there's no better time to give than during the holiday season.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! Hopefully we will follow suit next year in the Calgary Office! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Sarah! It definitely sounds like a success! And I got a little taste of Sue's gingerbread cookies...so good!

    ReplyDelete