Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Heart Wedding DIY - Centrepieces

Our weekend guests have headed home and the last load of laundry is in the dryer so I now have the chance to write an entry!

Yesterday we attended the wedding of our friends Ryan and Carla at the Southshore Centre in Barrie. The last time I was there for an event it was my high school prom so I was really curious to see how they would transform the venue for their wedding. I am pleased to report that the bride and her family did a beautiful job of decorating and it looked nothing like I remember from all those (*cough*10*cough*) years ago. The chairs were set up very similarly to this picture (that I took from the City of Barrie's website) but they had lined the aisle and the area where the ceremony took place with a variety of coloured crystals hung from fishing line. The effect was really lovely and, as a nice tie-in, they gave crystal bracelets to all the female guests. My favourite part of the wedding was the flowers. The centrepieces were done with gorgeous cream hydrangeas in square vases. And, in a very roundabout way, I've arrived at the subject of tonight's post: DIY wedding centrepieces!

For my wedding I wanted floral centrepieces but I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. So I was super excited when we found the Snartig bud vase at Ikea. They were incredibly affordable (they are actually on sale for a dollar each at the moment!) and so we decided to buy enough to have one for each couple at each table. For flowers I went to the Floral Department at Costco the day before the wedding and bought several mixed flower bouquets in my wedding colours and put one flower in each vase. We grouped them in the centre of each table around the table numbers and they doubled as both centrepieces and favours. My bridesmaid Christina, who helped set up the venue, thought I was crazy to wait to buy flowers on the day before the wedding but I think because I didn't have a specific type or colour of flower in mind I was going to be ok as long as Costco wasn't completely sold out. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture that is specifically of the centrepieces but these should give you an idea of how they turned out. 











 




I would totally recommend going this route if you want fresh flowers but don't want to pay a florist to create your arrangements!

7 comments: