Thursday, July 26, 2012

DIY Shadowbox Art from Baby Cards

Before Nathan was born my friends and family spoiled the both of us at an awesome baby shower. There was food, presents and, of course, a lot of cards . Then after Nathan’s birth we were spoiled again with more presents and even more cards. I’m a sentimental girl so I saved all the cards but I knew that it probably wouldn’t be too often that I’d take them out of the box and reread them - there had to be some other way of preserving them. I was so excited when I saw this idea and I used it as a jumping off point to create my very own shadowbox art to display the cards.

Baby Card Shadowbox 

I started by using my trusty heart punch (seriously that thing gets a lot of use!) to cut hearts out of each of the cards. I tried to mix it up so that I had patterns, pictures and some words too. The size of the punch meant I ended up with only pieces of pictures which lent the whole thing a neat collage feel. The next step was to line all the hearts up and glue them to a piece of scrapbook paper. Because I’m really bad at math I went with paper that had  a lined pattern and that helped me place the hearts without having to do any measurements.

Baby Card Shadowbox - Details

Once I decided to put the whole thing in a shadowbox I knew I needed some elements with dimension. I used some pieces from the Lime Twist collection from My Mind’s Eye like this diecut train and made them stand out by cutting up a Styrofoam cup, gluing together the pieces and then attaching them to the backs of my elements. There’s probably a better way of doing this but I went digging through my craft supplies and came up with a Styrofoam cup! The flag in the train window is just a sticker and a toothpick.

Baby Card Shadowbox - Train 

In the top corner I used stickers and more Styrofoam cup – I wrote Nathan’s birthday on the “Date” sticker and his name on the “Property Of” one. I also included a cute little cat safety pin that my Mom had attached to one of her gifts for Nathan.

Baby Card Shadowbox - Cluster

Once it was complete I just popped the whole thing into a shadowbox and it was done. I love the way this turned out – it’s so personal and it reminds me how many people care about us. As Nathan gets older we can talk about how each heart in the frame represents someone who loves him!

 

P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway! We’re giving away four 5x7 prints of your choice courtesy of Marianne LoMonaco. You only have a week to enter so do it today!

P.P.S. Linking up with

 

No comments:

Post a Comment