Friday, December 17, 2010

Cookies in a Jar with Freebie Printable

Can you believe that Christmas is only a week away?! If you're looking for a last minute gift idea that's homemade but easy to put together then look no further than Cookies in a Jar!


The idea is that you are providing your recipient with all the dry ingredients needed to make a batch of cookies in one pretty package. For the jar above I used a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies found on Christmas-Cookies.com.

You'll need:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Putting it together is simple. Just mix the salt and baking soda in with the flour, then layer the ingredients in a quart-size jar in the order listed, with the chocolate chips on top. Depending on the size of your jar, you might want to put some of the chocolate chips at the bottom of the jar and then the flour mixture will settle around them giving you more room. I put 1/2 cup of chips in the bottom of my jar and the ingredients filled it right to the top. Make sure you pack down each layer, especially the brown sugar, so you end up with a pretty layered effect.


Close up your jar and decorate any way you like. I don't like to put labels on my jars because that makes them harder for the recipient to reuse. Instead I used pretty candy cane stripe ribbon, some bells and a cute Christmas button from a set I purchased on sale at Michaels during the summer. They've been used on all my gifts this year!


The last step is to print the instructions so your recipient can make the cookies. And I've made this step easier for you by creating a pretty freebie printable using elements from Shabby Princess! Just click on the image below for the full size version and then print it in any size you'd like (I used 4x6) and include it with the jar.


This gift is so easy to make and I love that when your recipient is finished with the jar, she can reuse it for making her own Cookies in a Jar gift :)


1 comment:

  1. Love this! I was thinking of making these for my aunts this Christmas & came across your post. Also, thanks for adding the free printable, it's super cute :)

    ReplyDelete